I recently won a voucher to stay at Kempinski Hotel Mall of the Emirates, which I have only been to once for a dinner. Having no expectations, I checked in to the hotel on a Friday, and was also given a tour, upon my request, of some of the high end suites, aptly named the Aspen Chalets (more on that later), and the spa. If I had to summarize this hotel in a phrase, it would be “attention to details.” The staff have obviously put hard thought and work into knowing and predicting what their guests want and need.
Kempinski Hotel Mall of the Emirates is part of the DISCOVERY Loyalty programme, which includes 35 independent luxury hotel brands in 76 countries. Read my previous post on why I highly recommend joining this program for free.
As is the case with previous reviews, I won’t bore you with factual details about the hotel which you can find on its website, but I will list some of the ways this hotel is unique and distinguished.
1. The Aspen Chalets: Such a unique concept not just to Dubai but probably the world. How unique? Imagine having a view of the world’s largest indoor ski slope and the hotels’s swimming pool and Burj Al-Arab all from the same suite! And fear not, this is not a cliche — the Aspen Chalets do live up to their name, immediately immersing you in a mountain somewhere in the real Aspen. The rooms are just oozing with coziness and warmth that I would find it very difficult to leave the room if I ever get to stay there. Watch this short video for a glimpse into what awaits you.
2. Location: The hotel is connected to Mall of the Emirates, one of the largest shopping malls in the world and my personal favorite in Dubai. The mall also has drop off zones which allow you to drop off your shopping bags and they would be delivered to your hotel room! With respect to Dubai, the hotel is located almost halfway between Downtown Dubai/Burj Khalifa and the Dubai Marina, and almost parallel to Burj Al-Arab and Madinat Jumeirah, thus making it perfect for first time or even veteran visitors to Dubai. A metro station is also right at your doorstep.
3. DISCOVERY Local Experiences: If you read my post on reasons to join the DISCOVERY Loyalty programme, you would know that this program offers its members some of the most unique “Local Experiences” in every city in the world where they have hotels. For Dubai, perhaps the most unique “Local Experience” is a helicopter ride over Dubai which is exclusively and specifically dedicated for black membership holders who opt to stay at Kempinski Mall of the Emirates. How cool is that?!
View this post on Instagram
Massive thanks to @discoveryloyalty and @kempinskidubai for arranging this amazing helicopter tour for me yesterday! Nothing renews your love of the city better than seeing it from a unique perspective 🚁 link in my bio on why and how you can join @discoveryloyalty for FREE! 🚁
4. Staff: We all know that the staff at any hotel can make or break your stay. Prior to checking in, I had a lengthy email exchange with Gerardo, the Chief Concierge, to arrange for my helicopter ride. Gerardo showed nothing but the highest level of professionalism to ensure I got the flight on the day and time of my choosing despite it being high tourist season in Dubai. Also special thanks to Allen (or Ellen!), the Butler at the Aspen Chalets, for the tour he gave me of the premises. If only I had half his enthusiasm and positivity, I would be a much better person 🙂
5. Room/bathroom size: Although I stayed in one of the basic rooms at the hotel, the room was huge, and the bathroom was simply a delight to walk into. Covered with marble, and with excellent water pressure, the extremely elegant shower provides an excellent respite from the walking all day at the Mall of the Emirates!
6. Breakfast: I usually never have breakfast in the hotel I am staying in but since the voucher for my stay included it, I decided to give it a try, and boy am I glad I did that! For starters, I don’t think I have ever seen a larger variety of pastries, as in EVER! The eggs benedict were the tastiest I had in a LONG time, and don’t get me started on how good the coffee was!
Last but not least and as a tip for UAE residents looking to staycation here, I would recommend splurging on the Aspen Chalets as this is not a typical stay in your room kind of hotel and not all rooms have a good view, or you could otherwise ask for one. Visitors to Dubai shouldn’t have a problem as they won’t be spending much time in the room.