If you are following me on Instagram (@gmr83), you may have noticed that I spent the better part of last week in the little heaven on earth known as the Maldives! I had the opportunity to stay at two different hotels and this is my review for the first one, the gorgeous PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi, one of the most luxurious resorts in the Maldives.
I am a fan of this particular program even before staying at PER AQUUM because it offers authentic local experiences (around 2,200 of them) at all its properties, which distinguishes it from most of the other hotel loyalty programs out there.
At the end of this review, you will find a list of five reasons why I think this hotel should be anyone’s destination of choice should you find yourself in the Maldives. Heads up, I will be preparing a similar list for the other hotel I stayed in.
So, we arrived in Male, the Maldivian capital, shortly before midnight after a quick flight with flydubai which operates daily flights from Dubai to the Maldives. We were received at the airport by a smiling representative of PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi who escorted us to the boat which would take us to the hotel island.
After a 30-minute drive in what is possibly the fastest wifi-equipped boat in the world (that thing was literally flying on the water!) and an endless supply of deliciously refreshing coconut water onboard, we arrived on the island and were taken to our room which featured a backyard with a pool, an outdoor bathtub, a private semi-outdoor shower, a rainfall shower, and another smaller pool in the front of the house, but most importantly, we were a few meters away from the beach.
As you would imagine at any luxury hotel, the room had all the amenities from a large plasma TV, a Bose surround sound system and iPod music library, personal espresso machine, a bar, and luxury bath gels and shampoos.
In the morning we woke up to discover the island and what the hotel has to offer. The island on which PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi is located is gorgeous and cozy at the same time and is walkable in less than half a day even for slow walkers. There are two types of “rooms” with varying sizes and room numbers – the ones that are on the main island and villas that are located right above the water. For the ultimate exclusive experience, you can always stay on the hotel’s luxury one bedroom dhoni (traditional Maldivian ship).
The hotel offers a full range of activities includes yoga, fishing, dolphin cruises, traditional dhoni boat trips, sandbank snorkeling, and diving. And there is no shortage of dining options at PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi with four restaurants and two bars for cocktails and sundowners.
Oh and believe it or not, Per Aquum Huvafen Fushi has its own time zone that is different from Male and is designed to help guests make the most out of the day. Talk about feeling special!
Maldives may have many options of luxury and beautiful hotels but it is the small things and the personalized experience that make all the difference when choosing hotels. The genuine smile and helpfulness of the staff at PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi were a great complement to the beauty of the island and the resort, whose name (Huvafen Fushi) literally translates to Dream Island – a perfect description in my opinion. During our stay, we were made to feel that we are the only guests on the island and that alone is a testament to the kind of treatment guests receive at PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi.
There are many, many reasons to choose to stay at PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi, but I have prepared a list of the 5 things that we personally experienced and that I believe made PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi a special place. Please feel free to comment below with your experiences!
1. The world’s first underwater spa: Yes you heard me! In case being on a beautiful island is not enough relaxation for you, let your PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi masseuse take you 6 or 8 meters under the lagoon in the middle of a coral garden and surrounded by colorful fish swimming around the 180 degree windows!
2. Coral reef snorkeling: PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi is one of the best places in the Maldives and the world for snorkeling. Regardless if you are a first timer or an expert snorkeler, PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi has you covered with its house reef and lagoon. Prepare yourself for an awesome display by Mother Nature for some of the world’s most colorful fish, (harmless) reef sharks, and beautiful corals.
3. Feeding the stingrays: As a person who dreads the animals of the water generally, I was somewhat reluctant to take part in this activity. HOWEVER, it turned out to be one of the best experiences I have ever had! At around sunset, PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi’s delightful resident marine biologist Beth gave guests a quick briefing on stingrays and how to feed them. Beth has also made up names for each stingray that shows up at the beach along with her professional notes on each stingray’s behavior. Beth then gives you a bucket of fish parts which the stingrays siphon right off your hand! Check out a video below of this exhilarating experience!
4. RAW restaurant: This is a small restaurant set over water. What makes it so special? It serves the most delicious 100% raw food and healthy drinks you have ever had. Have you ever had a raw pizza? No? Prepare to be mind blown by the delicious raw pizza the chef at RAW makes. We also had the Buddha salad and the raw wagyu beef tartar both of which were delicious as well.
5. Complimentary island-made ice cream and smoothies by the pool: What’s the best thing to have after napping by the infinity pool in the middle of the Indian Ocean surrounded by some of the bluest waters in the world? Hello complimentary delicious island made ice cream and sorbet! Or you could go for a signature smoothie to freshen your body and soul.
6. Lonu Veyo Saltwater Flotation Pool: The only pool of its kind in the Maldives is located a few steps away from the infinity pool. This flotation pool allows you to effortlessly float and soak while being surrounded by the crystal waters of the lagoon.
In conclusion, if you look at other online pictures of PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi you will immediately get a sense of how we felt while we were there. Add to that, the wonderful staff – especially Jodi, Nine Two, and Jay – who work day and night to ensure you have the ultimate relaxing experience.
You can also follow me on Instagram (@gmr83) for more shots from Per Aquum.